Friday, January 4, 2013

Overture - "Let's start at the very beginning...."


OVERTURE
(of sorts…or a bit about me)

Contrary to what some people believe (I won't reveal names, but you know who you are!), I did not emerge from my mother's womb shouting, "Hello, Everybody!  My name is Jeff!  What's yours?" Nor did I try to seduce the other boy babies in the nursery at Victory Memorial Hospital.  And I didn't have this tragic childhood full of disappointment and despair where the theatre saved me from a life that surely would have been depicted in an ABC Movie of the Week or as a recurring storyline on "OZ."  In fact, boring as it may seem, I had a pretty unremarkable childhood with parents who loved me and brothers (one older, one younger) who I hated or loved, depending on my mood and whether they were being jerks or not.

Back when I was growing up in the 1950s and 1960s (I'm a true baby boomer!), hit songs from Broadway shows were routinely recorded by the top recording artists of the day.  Television also often promoted theatre, most especially Broadway musicals, via the many variety shows that were on the air, the gold standard of which was, of course, The Ed Sullivan Show.  So I grew up listening and enjoying theatre music, and from my mom, singers like Doris Day, Patti Page, Rosemary Clooney, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, etc., and from my dad, classic country music featuring Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves and the magnificent Patsy Cline.  While I enjoyed all the angst of country music (I mean, seriously, folks, who didn't get all verklempt when Tammy Wynette sang about her D-I-V-O-R-C-E?) and could twang right along with Patsy on "Crazy," it was the show music that captured my imagination.  It should have been a big clue to my folks, on several fronts, when the first records I bought with my own money were the Original Broadway Cast recording of "The Sound of Music" and "Judy at Carnegie Hall" (Hello, Barb and Cliff??), but it was the early 60s, after all.  Both albums were in thrilling monaural.  At the time, stereo records were more expensive than monaural (sort of like Blu-Ray DVDs costing more to rent on Netflix…same scam, different times!) and we didn't have a stereo player at the time, so it was all moot anyhow.  (Sidebar: I still have both albums and a well-played, very scratchy, much-loved 78rpm cast album of "South Pacific.")

The first show I remember seeing was "Brigadoon," done by our community theatre group.  I was enchanted the Scottish highlands and "Brigadoon" remains a favorite.  Then there was "The Wizard of Oz" at a tent theatre in nearby Highland Park, where the Wicked Witch's meltdown fascinated me at the time and still does (How did she do it?) and high school productions of "Carousel," "My Fair Lady" (my older brother Cliff, Jr. was in the chorus) and "How to Succeed…" (I thought the H.S. senior who played Finch was cute as all get-out. I'm not being pervy.  I was 14.  Cut me some slack.)  I performed in high school productions, got my degree in Speech/Theatre, which, of course, I have never used, and did community/semi-pro stuff until I got tired of the politics of amateur theatre and for all intents and purposes retired from performing.  I wish I could say it's the theatre's loss, but….

But what hasn't changed, however, since that first production of "Brigadoon" over 50 years ago, is my love of going to see a show and being a part of the audience.  And that's what this is all about.  I started doing this on Facebook, but several of my friends told me that other people might be interested in this as well, other fans of live theatre who may enjoy my memories of a zillion years of going to the theatre.  Feel free to comment and share.  This won't be in chronological order or in any order at all.  But I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy going down memory lane.

Let's start with some firsts….


I thought it would be fitting to begin this archival record with the program from the first professional production I saw. January, 1966. I was -- gasp -- 15 and a high school sophomore. I went my school's drama club. From my seat in the first row of the second balcony, and that's a long way up at the Shubert, I was mesmerized from the moment the lights went down until long after the final bows. Although I had previously seen a handful of musicals produced by the local community group or  at the high school, this was the show that truly started a life-long love affair with the theatre. Channing was at the peak of her powers and delivered a PERFORMANCE of Dolly Levi rather than a caricature of it. Honest, at times moving, often hysterical, and just plain wonderful. — at  the Shubert Theatre, Chicago, IL.




My first Broadway show. August, 1970. I was 19. My parents thought I was in Normal visiting college friends. Oh, the deceit! This was her second-to-last performance in NYC. Okay, she couldn't sing, she couldn't really dance, and she was no more Chanel than the man in the moon. What she WAS was Katharine Hepburn. Kate the Great! As the legendary critic Walter Kerr quipped on her performance in "Coco," "Hepburn gave a benefit performance - for OUR benefit." She was magnificent! Rene Auberjonois won a Tony for his portrayal of a vicious gay assistant. Even then I thought it was a hateful role that made the Boys of "The Boys in the Band" look sweet and loving. The physical production was stunning, the supporting actors all did their jobs with professional aplomb, but in the end it was all about KATE! Even after over forty years of going to the theatre, this remains a highlight I'll never forget.
 - at the Mark Hellinger Theatre, New York



August, 1970. My first off-Broadway show. I saw both performances that evening. I enjoyed the play, but the best part occurred afterwards. Since this was my first visit to New York (remember, I was supposed to be visiting friends in Normal…bad, Jeff, bad!), I was very unsure where things were. After the show, I got turned around going to the subway, realized my mistake, turned around and promptly walked into Anthony Perkins, the show's star. Literally walked into him. Like BAM! After a multitude of embarrassed and star-awe apologies on my part, Perkins actually walked with me to the subway stop six blocks away to make sure I got there okay. He didn't have to do it; he just did. He was a generous and gentle man who went out of his way to help a rattled and somewhat lost teenager. I'll never forget his kindness.   — at the Truck and Warehouse Theatre, New York City.





May, 1972. My first West End show. My first trip to London. I was 21. A B&B cost under 2 quid a night; you could see a show in the gallery for 50p. I left the States with just over $100 and lived off that for my week's stay. Ah….those were the days. "Company" is among my top ten musicals, so it's not surprising I would see this. Actually I saw it twice that week. Plus, a chance to see Elaine Stritch again in her landmark performance? Of course I had to see it. Another reason I really wanted to see it was to see Dilys Watling, who was Tony-nominated for her role in the short-lived "Georgy." She played Amy and was very good in the role, but it was Julia McKenzie as April who captured my heart. I adore this woman and have had the pleasure of seeing her since that wonderful first performance in several shows and have had the privilege of sharing a drink with her after a performance of "Sweeney Todd." Surprisingly, this very New York show was quite a success in London. A perfect introduction to the West End and a perfect way to begin my love affair, not only with Ms. McKenzie, but also with the London theatre scene.
 — at Her Majesty's Theatre, London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONCERTS AND TUNERS AND PLAYS…OH, MY! - vol. 1

  CONCERTS AND TUNERS AND PLAYS…OH, MY! vol. 1 Spring is finally here. And what better way to celebrate than by strolling down theatrical ...